Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Seaweed photos
From: "Richard B. Searles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:18:51 -0500

Seaweed photographers:

I received the following request for photos of some temperate water
seaweeds and am passing it along with the thought that some of you out
there may have appropriate pictures that Mr. Patton could use.

Rick Searles

"My name is Darryl Patton and I am the editor/publisher of Wilderness Way
Magazine. It is a publication dedicated to the preservation of
wilderness/primitive survival skills from around the world. It has
articles in it about firemaking, edible plants, ethnobotany,
braintanning etc. Please feel free to visit our web site:
http://www.pioneerpc.com/wildernessway/core.html for a better idea of
what we are all about.

I am a special education teacher here in North Alabama as well as a free
lance writer in the area of medicinal plants, folklore and primitive
survival. I am currently in the process of writing the next FoxFire book
on Tommie Bass, an elderly mountain herbalist who was the subject of
much research at Duke during the 1980's.

My reason for writing you is to enlist your help in a project I am
working on. I am working on a book about Euell Gibbons, the dean of the
back to the land movement. One section of the book deals with the
subject of foraging the shores with a special emphasis on edible
seaweeds, a subject I believe you are quite familiar with!

Do you have, or do you know where I could locate some good color photos
of various seaweeds I could use in the book and also in a future
magazine article to appear in Wilderness Way? I would be more than happy
to give proper credit as to the source of the photos. I will be happy to
send you a copy of Wilderness Way so that you can understand our
approach to wilderness survival and the environment.

Some of the seaweeds I am looking for are:

Rockweed/Bladderwrack
Sea Lettuce
kelp/laminaria longicruris,
Alaria esculenta,
Laminaria digitata kelp,
Dulse/palmaria palmata
Nori/porphyra umbilicalis
Laver

I would appreciate any help you might be able to provide. If you do not
have access to these photos, please refer me to anyone you think might
be able to help.

Yours,

Darryl Patton
Wilderness Way Magazine - Editor & Publisher

Richard B. Searles
Department of Botany
Box 90338
Duke University, Durham NC 27708-0338