Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  October 1997

AFRIK-IT October 1997

Globalization and its Effect on Developing Countries

Shawn Ballard <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:23:45 -0400

Please find enclosed a cover letter and survey for a study I am conducting
in fulfillment of the requirements of the master's of Science in
Information Systems program at Pennsylvania State University.

Survey Cover Letter

October 22, 1997

Dear Fellow Professional:

As an Information Science professional, you know that globalization is a
trend that will effect every country in the world.  As information
technology innovations bring the world together, it is feared that Less
Developed Countries who can not afford or have not invested in information
technology may be left behind.

In partial fulfillment of the requirements of the Master's of Science in
Information Systems program at Pennsylvania State University, I am
conducting a research project on the topic of "The Effects of Globalization
on Developing Countries:  Will They be left Behind?".  The purpose of his
study is to identify key issues related to globalization and information
technology in Developing Countries, as to how globalization will effect
Developing Countries.

I am very interested in hearing from you about your perceptions on how
globalization and information technologies are effecting and will effect
developing countries.  I would like you to complete the attached survey to
gain your views about this exciting topic.   Ianticipate the completion of
the questionnaire will only take 15-20 minutes of your time.  If you decide
to help by participating in this study, all responses will be strictly
confidential and nowhere in the study will your identity or your
organization's be made known.  Any information provided you will be
compiled in a summary data report thus protecting your identity.  Your
participation is completely voluntary.  You may withdraw from the study at
any time or decline to answer any specific questions.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my letter.  If perhaps you
feel that a fellow colleague may have insight or interest in this topic,
please feel free to pass my letter on to that person.  Please feel free to
contact me at my e-mail address or by telephone if you have any questions.

I thank you in advance for your time and participation in this study.

Sincerely,

Shawn E.  Ballard

Graduate Student
Pennsylvania State University at Harrisburg
616 Cambridge Court
Palmyra, PA 17078
717-832-0626
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Survey Questionnaire

The Effects of Globalization on Developing Countries

The purpose of this survey is to identify and assess the perceptions that
Information Science Professionals around the world have relating to how
Developing Countries will be effected by the worldwide trend of
Globalization.

Part 1:  Demographic Information

Please select the response from the following statements that most closely
reflects your experiences.

1.  Gender (Choose one)
        (Male, Female)

2.  Age  (Choose one)
        (<25, 25-30, 31-40, 41-50, >50)

3.  Are you originally from a Developing Country? (Choose one)
        (Yes, No)

4.  Do you currently live in a Developing Country? (Choose one)
        (Yes, No)

5.  What is your highest level of education? (Choose one)
        (High School, BA/BS, Master's Degree, Ph.D., Doctorate, Other)

6.  What was concentration of study? (Choose one)
        (Science, Liberal Arts, Other)

7.  Did you study in a Developing Country? (Check one)
        (Yes, No)

Part II:  Perceptions of Information Technology in Developing Countries

Please indicate the importance of each of the following statements
regarding your perception of information technology in Developing
Countries.

Please use the following scale to answer the following questions (8-21):

1 = Strongly Agree
2 = Agree
3 = Neutral
4 = disagree
5 = Strongly disagree

8.  Developing Countries should invest more resources in Information
Technology.

9.  Developing Countries need to Invest in Information Technologies to
become Newly Industrialized Countries.

10. Governments in Developing Countries understand the importance of
Information Technologies

11. Developing Countries lack adequate training programs in Information
Science fields.

12. Developing Countries lack adequate resources for training Information
Science professionals.

13. Developed Countries should give more aid to Developing Countries to
help them build Information Infrastructures.

14. Developing Countries lack an adequate number of Information Science
professionals.

15. Citizens in Developing Countries adapt well to change.

16. If Developing Countries do not invest in IT, the gap between them and
Developed Countries will widen.

17. Developing Countries will be able to create more jobs by investing in
Information Technologies.

18. The existing Information Science professionals in Developing Countries
need to encourage IT investment.

19. Governments in Developing Countries are unaware of the benefits
Information Technology can provide.

20. Developing Countries should invest in basic needs such as food and
healthcare before investing in IT.

21. There are more important things to worry about in Developing Countries
than investing in IT.

Part III:  Assessment of Information Technology in Developing Countries

Please write your responses to the following questions.

22. What do you feel are the key factors to implementing successful
Information Technologies in Developing Countries?

23. How do you feel globalization through the use of Information
Technologies will effect Developing Countries?

24. What do you feel are some of the key factors that hinder investment in
Information Technologies in Developing Countries?

25. Please provide any other comments or feeling you feel may be of benefit
to my research.