Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Alleged virus warning (it's FALSE!)
From: Chuck Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:16:17 -0500

At 08:13 PM 9/17/97 +0100, you wrote:
>This is wrong, anything can be enclosed as an e-mail attachment,
>including virus files. However, I have never heard of a virus being
>distributed this way. If it was, the attachment would have to be
>extracted and executed. Simply reading the message is not enough
>Craig (M.Sc. thesis in Multimedia e-mail)

Craig, (et al)

Exactly, attachment is the key word here. Almost ALL these e-mail virus
warnings tell people not to OPEN e-mail, but don't mention att. Opening
e-mail can't do anything. The victim HAS to RUN the attachment to activate
anything contained therein, thus my admonistion to virus-scan any executable
file attached to e-mail ...

Slainte!

T.

| Chuck Gordon              [log in to unmask] |
| About me:  http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Flats/1239 |
| Dojo page: http://members.iquest.net/~cgordon/       |