Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Loss of akinete expression in Anabaena
From: Ian Jameson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:05:02 +1000

Dear Colleagues
        Michael Herdman in Cyanobacteria : Methods of Enzymology V167
(1988)   states from unpublished observations  that "mutants of  Nostoc PCC
7524, incapable of producing akinetes, appear to arise at relatively high
frequency, and many cyanobacteria which formed akinetes when first isolated
can no longer do so."
        Has anyone also found this to be the case and know of any work to
that effect. I am working on Anabaena circinalis and have access to around
40 strains of which only a limited  number produce akinetes under a range
of light and nutrient conditions (temperature has not been tested yet).
Most of the strains have been in our collection for up to 4 years. Given
that one aim of our project is to look at akinete germination in a range of
strains from differing biogeographic locations in Australia, any real
irreversible loss of akinete expression could lead to a lack of smiling
faces.
        As I only have a partial copy of the above paper I have no direct
contact for Michael Herdman and had no luck using Big Foot as someone on
the list recently suggested.
        Replies to me personally and I can forward them on if interest prevails.

Regards