Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Spirulina
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 13 Sep 1997 03:15:00 -0700

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 97 03:15:03 EST

I am forwarding the following from a friend working with Spirulina:

I have sucessfully built and operated a closed cultivation system for a
fourteen month period. The system I built was relatively small (1600L)
and was designed to test my theories regarding monocultural purity as
well as pharmaceutical cleanliness and enhanced productivity.

In that the current large scale methods employed for mass algal
production consist mainly of open ponds(raceways), the accepted
terminology regarding growth rates is, usually, expressed in grams per
square centimeter. Generally such systems are to considered to be of
harvestable density when they reach the vicinity of .125 gm./liter. My
closed system achieved as much as 7.0 gm./liter during the summer months
and as little as 2 gm/liter during the coldest months.

I would like to find out if anyone would be interested in working with
me to develop a large-scale system.

Bill Luksic
(760) 599-1207

-