AFRIK-IT September 1997

Extending the net

Jeff Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:41:49 -5

Greetings Afrik-ITes!

On the outskirts of Kampala, atop one of its famous hills, is a
tremendous structure of thatch, intricately woven and supported by
tall beams.  Outside one must remove shoes.  Inside the visitor sits
on woven floor mats and observes an altar. Elderly women lie on mats
by the walls to each side.  A floor-to-ceiling curtain made of tree
bark protects from view the rear of the room behind the altar, where
lie buried several of the Kabaka.  The altar is separated from the
visitor by a low fence supporting beautifully crafted spears, along
with photographs and sketches of the past Kabakas, kings of the
people of this part of Uganda.  The guide explained to Charles Musisi
and myself that some people come to this former home of the Kabakas,
now a burial house for some of them, to pray, an ancient method of
communications.

On a more recently developed communication front, there have been
furious negotiations in Kampala these last few days to finalize
arrangements for communications with remote (in a technical sense)
agricultural research stations.  There are quite a number of options
for email via high frequency radio in Uganda.  With Esther Lwanga of
the Agricultural Research Information Service of Uganda, we were
searching for the solution that offered the best prospect for
reliable technical support at an affordable price.

Esther will be continuing negotiations with Bushnet, one of the local
providers, next week.  Bushnet expressed its willingness to meet the
needs of agricultural researchers in Uganda, providing a suitable
service at an affordable price. I was particularly impressed with the
willingness of their staff to work closely with local researchers on
software solutions to economize on bandwidth, and in general to
develop a close working relationship with their customers for
effective ongoing support.  Again and again we find it is not so much
technology as technical support that is the critical missing factor
in our networks.  The support situation looks good in Uganda.

Depending on the solution Esther works out, AfricaLink will likely
provide assistance with the equipment purchase. USAID is already
providing assistance for rural radio email links to one of the
Cooperative Bank branches in Uganda. We see these all as pilot
efforts to enable us to judge the suitability of this technology for
our partners.

We continue to work with the WFP in Uganda.  Discussions with them
centered around the possibility of establishing links in places where
no suitable arrangement can be found with organizations like Bushnet.
 WFP and MAF are really among the pioneers in this technology for
their respective constituencies.  WFP used USAID funding in part
to develop a system of HF radio links to its remote crisis work
sites in the region.  Staff of WFP finished their contracts, and
used their acquired expertise to start Bushnet.  The WFP's Peter
Casier and I are both quite excited about this spinoff effect, and
are pleased to see that the private sector is now looking seriously
at the market for rural Internet linkages.  We expect competition in
this sector soon to bring good news generally for consumers, at least
in the countries where the regulatory environment is permissive.

Cheers!
Jeff @ Kampala
http://www.info.usaid.gov/alnk
1111 North 19th Street Suite 210