Re: Gile Mear

Pat McGarrigle <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 14 Aug 1997 15:51:51 +0000

Scríobh Marion:

> (2) Most printed song collections render this: "mo ghiolla mear". In
> today's Irish, surnames excluded, "giolla" now mostly means a messenger
> boy, a gofer, etc. Given that this particular song is a crypic celebration
> of the (unnamed in it) Bonnie Prince Charlie, I imagine it probably started
> out in life as "mo ghille mear", a word which has come over into English as
> "gillie" (I do not know if it came over, similarly, into Scots).
>
> Tuairim ar bith ag duine ar bith eile?
> mg

Bhí ceist faoin amhrán seo ar r.m.c seachtain ó shin.
Cheapas gur 'my quick brightness' a bhí ann.
Tá ciall i 'mo ghiolla mear', cinnte. Is amhlaidh
gur thug Thomas Kinsella 'Brightness most Bright'
ar an dán 'Gile na Gile' ins 'An Duanaire: Poems of the
Dispossessed'. Tugann Pádraigín ní Ullacháin
' my something hero' (?nílim cinnte - tá an CD sa bhaile,
níl sé agam anois) ar an amhrán.
I was under the impression that 'Gile' was used
in poetry a lot in the 17th/18th centuries for
a loved or admired one. Anyone?

Pádraic.
Pa/draic Mac Oirgheallaigh
Gleann na Me/adach, Cill Di/oma, Co.Luimneach.