Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

algal Lists:22897 CB-Aphanizo. flos-aquae(good or bad?)

Joseph Seckbach <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:11:42 +0300

aphanizo.txt (26 lines)

Subject "Super blue-green" or Toxic Cyanobacteria?
The case of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae.

Dear Colleagues,
I came recently across a leaflet about the miracle of Aphanizomenon
flos-aquae (cyanobacterium). The commercial advertisement claims
that by consuming this blue green alga (pills, capsules, liquid drops)
one can get red of his/her many physical problems. So, they promising
that this wonderful blue green alga will cure you from cases like:
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, depression, tiredness, sleepless periods,
bad vision, pain in the legs, shoulders and back, and so on.....
The advertisement assures that these cells are high in protein, vitamin
B-12 and beta carotene, glycogen and all eight essential amino acids.
Further, they micro-plants are full with nutrients that is not lost during
the handling and can just bless our bodies and spirit..
In spite that this alga as a "supplier of super food that almost
completely matches the nutrient needs of our bodies" - as these people,
challenge, I remember this species as a TOXIC one and as a factor
polluting and causing damage to sweet waters.

Please give me your reactions to this ambiguously describes properties
of Aphanizomenon flos-aquae. Is it a toxic alga or a truly blue-green
one that may generate just miracles in our body?

Sincerely
Joe Seckbach