Subject: England/Britain confusion
From: Martin Burns at EasyWeb Design <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:24:56 +0100

Leslie A. Gallagher wrote on 18/7/97 5:08 pm:

>if told someone is British, [I assume] they are from
>England.

Aye, there's the thing. John Major had the same
thought (most people world-wide do - that's the
old Empire propaganda for you). He said that
as long as he was leader *grin* (still makes me
chuckle, even now), Britain would remain the
country of Warm Beer, Cricket on village greens
in lengthening shadows of summer evenings and
old maids cycling to evensong.

Remind you of any part of Britain outwith
the Home counties? Thought not.

Another interesting one is the radio programme
I was listening to the other day, which kept on referring
to Prince Charles as the 'future king of England'. Fine
by me... I'm with Tom Paine on the monarchy.

One final quote, from Another Country (play about
an English public school in the 30s), regarding the
School Bully: "The worrying thing is that he's *exactly*
what this school sets out to produce. Not empire *builders* - goodness
me, no - building an Empire takes imagination - but empire *rulers*.

Cheers
Martin

 EASYweb Design - professional Web Design that speaks *your* language
    email: [log in to unmask]           snailmail: 12 Terrars Croft
      tel: +44 (0)131 668 1420                     Edinburgh, Scotland
pricelist: [log in to unmask]  terms&conditions: [log in to unmask]