Subject: A nation of Islands
From: Martin Burns at EasyWeb Design <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Jul 1997 23:19:06 +0100

Daithi Mac Cristora wrote on 18/7/97 4:20 pm:

>There are differences between the various diverse peoples of these
>islands - I fully admit and respect that. "Britain" is, I believe, a "nation
>of nations" - whether it be Scots, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, English, Ulster,
>Manx, or various hyphenated versions of the above. Indeed the
>very existence of so many hyphenated identities is perhaps backup
>for my assertion that such a thing as a wider "British" identity exists.

Leaving aside the British version of this, Scotland is *certainly* a
nation of islands.

There is the Gaelic archipelago, and the Scots one (with the English
speaking one pretending the Scots one is really part of it). There's
the (former) steel island of Motherwell and the other industrial islands
of Bathgate and Linwood, the (former) coal island of the villages of Fife
and the Lothians. There's the oil island of Aberdeen.

The administrative island of Edinburgh is as distant from the commercial
island of Glasgow as it is from Orkney. The modernising islands of
Livingston
and Cumbernauld are as far from the historical island of Stirling as
they are from Iona.

Cheers
Martin

 EASYweb Design - professional Web Design that speaks *your* language
    email: [log in to unmask]           snailmail: 12 Terrars Croft
      tel: +44 (0)131 668 1420                     Edinburgh, Scotland
pricelist: [log in to unmask]  terms&conditions: [log in to unmask]