Subject: Re: Dyslexia
From: "Popham, Karyn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Jul 1997 17:38:00 -0500

>Dyslexia - Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English
>Language - n. Pathol. an impairment of the ability to read due to a brain
>defect.

<<     In the interim, I would like to have it clarified for me whether the
word "impairment" is synonymous with the word "absence" --Kate Gladstone>>

No, Kate, you are _not_ in error.  "Impairment" is not the same thing as
"absence" or "total inability":  it means something is more difficult than
the norm, not that something is impossible.  Dyslexia occurs on a continuum,
as do most impairments of brain function, and the result may be someone who
reads more slowly than would be expected given their I.Q., or someone who
reads with aids (for instance, a ruler to keep their eyes on the right
line), or someone who finds it almost impossible to decode the gibberish in
front of them.  Moreover, it seems that "dyslexia" and its closely aligned
kin can occur in some contexts and not in others:  you may be able to read
easily, for instance, but have difficulty typing with rapidity.  I had a
cousin who was a concert pianist; no one realized she was dyslexic.  She
thought _everyone_ had to take a ruler to their sheet music to see which
notes lined up with which!

Cheers,
Karyn Popham