Subject: Re: English Pronunciation Accents
From: Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Jul 1997 15:38:12 -0400

You can either set a macron- (opt-shft-,) and make drastic kerning
adjustments to kern it back over the a and with the following letter; or
use Central European encoded versions of the font; CE fonts have macrons on
aeiou.
Of course, if you have Fontographer you might make a font with just
a-macron (a legally questionable move, consider your licensing agreement)
-- set text normally in your original font with  (opt-a) for example, and
somehow find & replace it later with the new font's .
Or again, if the license permits, use Fog to simply put a-macron in the
place of  (not to slight out Scandinavian readers, it's just that  is on
a more convenient key combination than  etc.).

>I'm trying to set a letter 'a' in a stone typeface with a '-' over the 'a.'
>(what we called in school 'long a.')
>
>I can find tilde and so on,e but no way to get just a 'bar' over an 'a.'
>
>Help!!
>
>I'm working with a Mac and postscript fonts.
>
>Thanks
>

>-Allan Balliett

Gary Munch
http://members.aol.com/GMajuscule/