Subject: Musique populaire
From: Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Jul 1997 23:40:41 -0500

Perhaps bizarrely, recently on the Bad Religion mailing list someone posed
the question:

>Subject: BR fonts
>From: [log in to unmask] (Dan C Ketterer)
>
>       Not really BR related but kind of, did anyone else notice how
>similer BR and Black Flag's fonts are?  I've noticed this for years and
>want to know if anyone else noticed it.

I replied:

>They're both ITC Friz Quadrata. If memory serves, Flack Bag electronically
>condenses it. It's rather ironic that a glyphic font like Friz Quadrata
>would come to mean "punk."

Wasn't someone else noting here recently that Neuland now means "black
American lit"?

Also, I have been trying to decide what I think of the use of Korinna on
the Cocteau Twins' 1992 album _Four-Calendar Cafe_. I consider Korinna only
a tiny step removed from the realm of novelty font, *except* that the
bolder weights, when set tight, look quite nice; I remember seeing product
labels when I was a typesetter using just that motif, and the dyspeptic
Bruce Springsteen fan of a supervisor I had noted, with some surprise, that
they did not "look like shit," to use her terms. Anyway, the _Four-Calendar
Cafe_ use is the book weight at various sizes on various backgrounds,
including the disc itself. Decidedly mixed results. The weird Korinna
kursivness draws too much attention to itself in thin weights at big size.

Here we cannot divorce form from content, given that the Cocteau Twins'
song titles are often paradoxical gems of English construction: Know who
you are at every age. Pitch the baby. Iceblink luck. Heaven, or Las Vegas.
The itchy glowbo blow. Anyway, "Know who you are at every age" is
particularly unsettling in Korinna. I don't think it would be unsettling in
Helvetica (Cf. _Heaven or Las Vegas_ type-- very subtle and
petshopboysesque) or Caslon (_Blue Bell Knoll_).

--
                                        Joe Clark
                            <http://www.interlog.com/~joeclark>