Subject: OED typeface? E-mail typefaces?
From: Jean Lee Cole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:24:20 +0100

Hello all,

I'm working on an interesting book that has definitions quoted from the OED
(Oxford English Dictionary, that is) as well as transcripts of e-mail
messages. The author has requested that they appear in the book as much
like the real thing as possible.

So, first off, does anyone know what typeface is used for the OED? Is it
available in electronic format? I actually own the compact edition but the
magnifying orb that comes with it distorts the type too much for me to be
sure of what it is. Not to mention the type is still pretty damn small.

Second: anyone have recommendations for "bitmapped" typefaces that look
like the default font for Eudora-- Mishiwaka? I want it to be composed of
actual dots, so it looks like it's on a screen. And it needs to be
something that looks ok set in text blocks, yet also be able to be set line
for line like a monospaced face. I've looked at Emigre's "Base n" faces,
but they don't seem very legible to me at small sizes (will be used in the
book at ~9-10 pt). I saw a sample of a face called Zeitgeist in the
Monotype catalog that looks promising--has anyone used it to set text?
Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks,
Jean