Subject: Re: question about typography in e-mail
From: Ken Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:06:18 -0400

CHris MacGregor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> What about people who have dyslexia? Living with dyslexia is not an easy
> thing in a world where people take the attitude that your opinion or
> thoughts are not worth their time because you spell the occasional word
> wrong. I think a much bigger problem is that of snobbery. I would be
> surprised to hear what your definition of literate is.
>
> When I was in grade school I was in literature classes two grades higher
> than my own, my English class was remedial because I had poor spelling.
It
> took me a long time to become comfortable writing my ideas down in email,
> attitudes like the ones expressed on this list will only server to keep
> other voices quite.
>
> You should be ashamed.

You're free to make your own judgments, Chris. But nowhere did I say that
someone's opinions weren't worth my time. And nowhere did I say anything
about spelling "the occasional word" wrong.

I talked about errors that permeate the page like rats in a sewer. That's a
lot of errors, regardless of the sewer you live in.

As for dyslexia...   should I naturally assume that every person who
exhibits poor spelling is dyslexic? I'm not picking on anyone's handicap,
I'm just evaluating what I have to work with. Maybe you'd like to read some
of my mail, and tell me how literate the authors are.

Before I get off my soapbox, let me just add this...

I'd rather be honest and wrong than politically correct

Ken Hutchinson
Drum Design