Help for GAELG Archives

GAELG Archives

Subject: Re: Manx Book
From: Mark Kermode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Jul 1997 20:55:01 00.00

Er 30 Jul 97 screeu John T. McCranie / On 30 Jul 97 at 9:01, John T.
McCranie wrote:

> Please forgive the English, but I though some might be
> interested in this.

Ta'n Vaarle kiart dy liooar er y lyst shoh, choud's ta shin loayrt
mychione cooishyn Gaelgagh

English is fine on this list as long as we're talking about matters
Gaelic.

> > ----------
> > A PRACTICAL GRAMMAR OF THE ANTIENT GAELIC OR LANGUAGE OF THE ISLE OF MAN,
> > USUALLY CALLED MANKS. BY THE REV. JOHN KELLY... EDITED, TOGETHER WITH AN
> > INTRODUCTION, LIFE OF DR. KELLY, AND NOTES, BY THE REV. WILLIAM GILL. by
> > Manx Grammar, . London: Bernard Quaritch, 1870. Reprint Of The 1859 Edition
> > Printed For The Manx Society, 8vo, Pp. Xliv, 92; Joints And Extremites Rubbed,
> > Small Crack In Upper Hinge, Else Good Or Better In Original Brown Cloth, Gilt
> > Lettering On Spine, Decorative Gilt On Upper Cover. Kelly's Manx Grammar (1804)
> > Was One Of The First Studies Of That Language. (Keywords: gaelic manx language
> > grammar)
> > The price of the book is US$ 225.00
> >  Please reference the seller's book # 12309 when ordering.
> >
> > The seller is Rulon-Miller Books
> > 400 Summit Avenue , Saint Paul, MN, U.S.A., 55102.
> > [log in to unmask] Ph: 800-441-0076 or 612-290-0. Fax: 612-290-0646.
> >
> > http://www.abebooks.com/cgi/abe.exe/routera

Gura mie ayd son y fys shen,Yamys. Ta fir noa foast goll er creck
liorish yn «heshaght Ghailckagh. T'ad sloo costal as cha goghe oo
aggle roish jannoo ymmyd jiu!

Thanks for that information. New ones are still being sold by Yn
«heshaght Ghailckagh. They are less costly and you wouldn't be afraid
of using them!

Er my hon hene, s'mie lhiam fockleyr Chregeen. Cha nel cho wheesh dy
ocklyn as yn fer Chelly, agh cha nel monney marranyn ayn.

Ny cur jee fockleyr Yuan Kelly as y fockleyr Phill Kelly fud y
cheilley. Va fockleyr Phil er ny yannoo mysh shey bleeantyn er dy
henney as ta ram fockleyn ayns.

Don't confuse John Kelly's dictionary with Phill Kelly's. Phil's was
done about six years ago and it has lots of words.

Jeagh-jee er http://www.manxman.co.im/gaelic dy gheddyn tooilley fys
mychione ny lioaryn ry-gheddyn veih'n «heshaght Ghailckagh.

Look at http://www.manxman.co.im/gaelic to get more info about the
books to be had from Yn «hesaght Ghailckagh

Lhiats

Mark Kermode,
Mannin.