Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: ALGAE-L: Resubscribing and other matters!
From: Mike Guiry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:38:53 +0000

Dear Subscribers:

I have now established - at last - exactly what happened while I was in
Spain.  The parameters for the list were changed so that people had to
renew their subscriptions after a certain period. This is generally the
case in lists like algae-l so that redundant subscribers are revoved
continuously from the list.  This stops lots of error messages being
generated for no reason.

However, as Libby Stull has pointed out to me:

>Just a suggestion, but many people on the ALGAE-L list don't know the
>difference
>between the list address and the listserver address.  None of the
>directions so
>far make this point.  As administrator you could help by clarifying what
>goes to
>the algae-l address and what goes to the listserver address.  I know this is
>simple and everyone should know it, but obviously not.

So, please take note

1.  If you wish to distribute mail to the subscribers on the list send your
e-mail to

2.  If you wish to send a COMMAMD (like SUBscribe, CONFIRM, REVIEW; a
particular word in the body of the message) to the listserver, it goes to

e.g. "confirm algae-l Mike Guiry", which would tell the server that I am
confirming my subscription to algae-l and this message would NOT be
distributed to everybody. If you send it to [log in to unmask] it will
be sent to all the people on the list and your command will not be acted
upon.

For the present, I have asked that the renewal option be removed but
ultimately it will be necessary to reintroduce it.  Before this happens
again I will tell you exactly what to do and where to get help if you are
not sure how it works.

Very sorry for the confusion.

Regards, Mike

Prof. Michael D. Guiry                     Tel: +353-91-750410
Department of Botany                    Mobile: +353-87-519917
University College Galway                Fax 1: +353-91-750502
The National University of Ireland       Fax 2: +353-91-750539
Galway, Ireland              E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Server:                     http://seaweed.ucg.ie/seaweed.html