Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  July 1997

AFRIK-IT July 1997

Re: Question: Awareness: y2k in other countries

Chris Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:45:33 +0200

At 01:02 1997-07-03 -0400,Glenn Ericson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>At 06:05 PM 7/2/97 +0000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>>Subject: Question: Awareness: y2k in other countries
>>It  appears to me that most of the world is largely unconcerned with
>>the y2k with the exception of England and a few other European countries-is
>>this true?   I am particuarly interested in obtaining information about
>>Latin America's efforts.
>>Melissa
>------------------------------
>Melissa:
>I don't think  I'd phrase it  exactly that way.  Un-Aware is more correct.

Glenn, I suspect that we are actually caught in a language trap.
Personally I can only follow links and sites in a language that I can handle.
I suspect that the French, Spanish and Other major languages may well
have their own Groups.

From my own sightings I am aware of sites in the Netherlands,
Germany , Italy etc. But French, Spanish, Greek etc - Dunno.

Speaking purely for Africa, I personally have tried to find contacts
in Africa. I well know that there is a considerable IT presence in
Nigeria, Egypt, Kenya etc. I cannot complain about the response I
got, because there was none. Now most of the big multinationals
in those countries, particularly in Oil and Mining already have
theri own Y2k plans. But there seems to be a sad lack of information
flow. Despite the ignorance and laisser faire attitude of South Africans
to the problem, the awareness (or perception based on participation
in International Fora) seems better than the rest of the Continent.
I welcome any suggestions that could get such a communications
network going. Certainly no-one on the AFRIK-IT network gives a damn.

It is somewhat alarming the the G7 conference  only tabled
preliminary steering committee meetings for August, actual committee
consideration by G7 will only happen NEXT YEAR.

Now if the Big Cheeses have not got their acts together before 1998,
the rest of the world is going to have to play catch-up rather fast.

The Scandinavian countries have sites. Sweden has even promulgated
legislation. We know about the US and UK activities. The Australians
and New Zealanders and active. Canada is active. South Africa is starting.

A few sightings of oddball/one-off meetings/conferences have been spotted
in Hong Kong, Singapore, Israel, Gulf States. Japan is supposed to be badly
behind.
The "Gurus" travel the world spreading the word.

But nothing, nada, niks from The Spanish Speaking world. I tried some
of the English language headline extracts from places such as Peru,
but found nothing.

Maybe this is an opportunity for that peculiar organisation known
as the United Nations. But  I don't know their email address.
The Press could of course be helpful in getting international awareness
going, but it seems they don't really want to.

Chris Anderson          email:                       [log in to unmask]
Y2K Cinderella Project          [log in to unmask]
http://www.cinderella.co.za             Striving for Year 2000 Compliance