In a message dated 97-06-11 18:15:44 EDT, AK1957 writes:
School of Kells , Cenannus , founded 9 yrs before Iona, in 554 was
regarded as the Chief Columban Monastery in Ireland. Later eclipsed by the
insular fame of Iona. The Book of Kells, the great Gospel of Columcille
reside here until Ushers time when in 1006 it
was stolen and desecrated the gold leaf torn from its cover and left
abandoned in a bog.
After the sacking of Iona by the Danes the abbot of Iona was given "a
free grant of Kells without battle" thus enabling him to transfer the
community from the ruins of Iona
to Kells. Taking with him the remains of Columba the abbot establised Kells
as the first
house of Columba in Erin and Alba. The Cathach, the battle standard of the
is preserved in a magnificently carved casket and inscribed with a psalter
attributted to St Columba.
Marianus Scotus is one of the most famous students of Kells renowned for
his transcriptions of the Holy Scripture as well as for his poetry.
The parish of St Columba of the archdiocese of Philadelphia continues the
Columban tradition administering the sacraments and providing for the
spiritual needs of its members in the inner city. One of the poorest
parishes in the Diocese it is supported
through the contributions of other city and suburban rectories that enable
it to maintain .
the church and parochial school and continue its service to its flock.
Art K aka AK1957 >>