Re: Questions

Raimund Karl <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:56:12 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:34:47 -0400
> From:          Eireann <[log in to unmask]>

> I do have some questions, though, at what point in history does Celtic
> culture stop and at what point does it pick up again.  Was there ever a
> breaking point?  It seems like there is a blank spot in history books where
> Celtic culture is left out.

Depends on which point of view you want to take. Usually it is
thought that the end of indigenous Celtic culture in all but the
extreme offroad regions is set to about the 17th to 18th
century, when the English destroyed the last elements of the Celtic
systems of self-organisation in both Ireland and Scotland and replace
it with the English system. However, some would argue that it never
stopped, others that, in fact, it ended already in the late 12th to
early 14th century, leaving only heavily english-influenced traces
which last in some small parts to today (like in the Gaelic-speaking
areas of Ireland and Scotland).
In the early 19th century the first "Celtic revival" movements
cropped up, mainly for political reasons. This led to a reinstigation
of something termed "Celtic culture" in some of the areas, most often
a mixture of the English system with a number of local or regional
traditions, with varying success and varying "historical accuracy".

Others would even claim a breaking point before those above
mentioned. Possible ones would be the Roman conquest of most of the
Keltike, leaving only a few Picts and Irish, which of course also
were quite influenced by the Empire, thereby de facto ending Celtic
culture and creating a new Irish and Pictish culture on the rim of
the known world (some people even argue that the Picts and Irish never
were Celtic, but always were a separate ethnicity).Or, another
possibility would be the coming of Christianity, which lastingly
changed the old systems so that it would be quite possible to speak
of a completely new culture with (perhaps) Celtic roots.

Oh, and Celtic history is missing from the history books because the
Celts were of only very little influence on the world history as an
ethnicity from the 1st century BC onwards.

RAY

RAY (Raimund Karl,University of Vienna,Dep.of Prehistory)
email: [log in to unmask] (or [log in to unmask])
homepage: http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8700035/index.html

                 The CELTIC-L Resources:
      http://unet.univie.ac.at/~a8700035/celtrese.html