CELTIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  June 1997

CELTIC-L June 1997

Re: New UK Gun Control (OBCELT Dunblane)

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:24:48 -0400

<< PS if you want to argue the pros and cons of gun control in the US,
 bugger off and argue it somewhere else. I really feel that this comes
 under the same category as uninvolved people arguing the cause of
 NI paramilitaries. It's not your problem. It's not your country.
 Don't impose your solutions upon our society when you don't
 understand it. >>

  Curious I thought the discussion concerned gun control in the UK.

  Though I have noticed this problem arise on previous occasions someone
posts a topic which in and of itself is quite volatile.  Upon reception of
counter
remarks to the posters position the party descries the objectors with
senseless
counter remarks cautioning the respondees to mind their own business.  Now I
am a proponent of free speech,  discourse and the exchange of ideas not only
on the NET but in society as a whole.  I abhor censorship.  But of all the
forms
of censorship the one most palatable is that which is self imposed.  If you
do not
wish the topic discussed then do not post it.  If that is not palatable then
when
posting please qualify your remarks so that we may all see the regard you
have for others rights to free speech ie not for discussion or not to be
discussed by non UK citizens etc etc etc then those who wish to respect your
request may do so.  However dont invite us to a party if your not prepared to
dance.

    However since you did choose to post the item you cannot deny those
liberterians  who wish to respond the right to do so.  Indeed the perception
I got from your posting
was one that you were running up the first victory pennant upon the battle
standard of the suede shoe and brown loafer brigade.

    As for the qualifiers you post abovep:  Correct it is not my country
however it is an example of an injustice perpetrated against a group of law
abiding,  legitimate sportsmen being denied a right because of a government's
failure to enforce pre existing laws.  I do not turn a blind eye to injustice
because it does not take place within the national borders where I reside.  I
have been a participant in competitive shooting events for 15 years.  The
majority of participants are sane well educated and respectful individuals.
 I have associates who are fellow citizens of yours who are now to be denied
access to a legitimate sport because of a pandering  political whim.
Next; in the followup postings to your original I saw no effort to impose
anyone elses
solutions upon your society.  I did see individuals engaging in the free
exchange of ideas.  If your countrymen are satisfied with the actions of its
government then they can exercise the right to ratify those actions at the
next election.

   The incidents at Dunblane and Hungerford were quite tragic.  But they were
carried out by individuals who could not possibly have been considered sane.
 They were not the actions of cognizant persons.  As to compare consider the
actions of a motorist who while intoxicated gets behind the wheel of a
vehicle and proceeds to collide with a school bus resulting in similar tragic
ends.  We do not outlaw the automobile because of the personal actions of
that individual.  It is merely a tool in the hands of a non-competent.  Those
bent on self destruction and retribution will always find the means to
execute their malicious plots regardless of governmental regulations.   That
is why they are considered criminals they have no respect for the rights of
others.  They always target those most unable to defend themselves from their
onslaught.

  It is indeed a truely marvelous age when after driving two hours up the
turnpike from
Philadelphia to New York one can  check into a hotel plug in the laptop and
remained wired into the pulse of the world.  It is unfortunate that the state
of human
conciousness has not been able to match the advanced state of human
technology.

  In closing I would like to ask the paticipants on the list to refrain from
posting items
which they are not prepared to discuss.  If you wish to censor the ideas of
others then begin by censoring your own.  I for one however would hope that
we are all capable of respecting the ideas and beliefs of others and would
encourage one and all to post to their hearts content (within relevance to
the list of course but with a wide as you choose latitude).  I even enjoy the
well turned phrase of a flame. At times it serves to remind one of ones own
ignorance.  As I approach my 40th birthday(July 25 if anyone is in a gift
giving mood) I have come to learn that my skin is quite probably more
naughahide than the Good Lord intended it to be but it has been quite useful.

Arthur Lenard Knowlton,  Jr  aka AK1957

  " a right of free correspondence between citizen and citizen,  on their
joint interests
whether public or private and under whatsoever laws those interests
arise...., is a natural right;  it is not the gift of any municipal law
either of England,  Virginia or Congress; but in common with all  of our
other natural rights,  it is one of the objects for the protection of which
society is formed,  and municipal laws established."

          Thomas Jefferson to James Monroe  1797