AFRIK-IT June 1997

(Fwd) Messages of Goodwill

Chris Geerdts <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 19:42:57 +0200

Regards, all

The vision of a school principal (Philemon Kotsokoane) and the
chairperson of one of South Africa's first school networks (Yorke
Rodda, from Pretnet), led to an experiment in the use of cellular
phones for school e-mail (where land lines did not exist). If any of
you are encouraged by what people can do, given the right resources,
then please send a message of goodwill to the school, as requested in
the message I have forwarded from the school. For more information on
the project, please look at the site:

http://www.idrc.org.za/connectsa/res_results/twocells.htm

(if you have low bandwidth, please disable the image-loading option
to avoid the large gif of schoolmembers involved!).

Also note that messages from America need to be sent before the 17th,
as they will be retrieved in the morning SA time, 7 hours ahead.

Thanks

Christopher Geerdts
IDRC

Subject:        Messages of Goodwill
Send reply to:  [log in to unmask]

Dear Colleagues

June the 16th on the South African calender marks the commemorations
of the activities of the youths in 1976 against Afrikaans being
forcefully used as a medium of instruction in black South African
schools. Youths revolted against this through organized matches which
turned unfortunately into violent clashes with the police and the army
This day as now celebrated as youth day.

To mark this commemoration, our little village Kgabalatsane will be
hosting (for the first time) the Premier of our Province North West,
Popo Molefe. As our contribution by our students (youth), we are
planning to display messages of goodwill from all over the world. We
also plan to bind these messages into a booklet and have one of our
students presenting it to the Premier to demonstrate to him that our
youths at Micha-Kgasi High School are also making a difference in the
world through telecommunications. We would also be sending a message
to him that a rural school in his province without telephone lines is
connected to the information super highway through celldata
technology.

We are therefore asking for messages of goodwill for this special
occasion to our little village from all our friends globally.

God bless.

Philemon (Kotsokoane)