AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

Monospaced Font

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  June 1997

AFRIK-IT June 1997

Re: AFRICA-DEVELOPMENT: More Than Just Internet Connections

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Jun 1997 21:07:59 +0100

Jeff,

At 16:03 +0100 30/6/97, Jeff Cochrane wrote:
>Greetings Afrik-ITers!
>
>Dr. Eberhard writes:
>
>> I still have this bet going that out of the 25 Million $US
>> for Leland 24 will go back north...
>
>Who pays if you win the bet? ;*) And what do you pay if you lose?

A friend of mine will pay me a meal in a peddler of quarterpounders
recently introduced in SA and about to enter Namibia. If I loose
I'll pay him (and me) a meal in a peddler of quarterpounders
recently... (you are getting my drift :-)-O)

>> Remember the other day, this rubbish article about the World Bank
>> wiring Mozambique? I totally agree with Venancio ...
>
>Venancio is quoted as saying donors are only interested in wiring the
>capital cities. My experience with donors has indicated otherwise.
>Donors seem very interested in rural areas, small towns, and the
>like. They simply haven't been very successful in finding and
>funding solutions for the problems faced by rural areas and small
>towns. But that doesn't mean they aren't interested.

Venancio didn't say donors, he said, some donor agencies, mentioning
the World Bank.

>And if I do say so myself, I'm pleased we were recently able to
>"wire" an agricultural research station 300 kilometers from a little
>town called Tsumeb. And we did it from Maputo without even getting
>on a plane. Good thing, too, because I haven't the foggiest idea
>where to find Tsumeb.
[...]
>In this case "wire" means we helped a scientist learn enough about
>the technology at a workshop that he was able to return home, ask
>the right questions, and take advantage of the infrastructure and
>servers available in his country, Namibia.

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. Really, I am but speechless.
You did point him towards my cell phone, of course? Though I
don't recall him calling me.

>Now I don't know why this scientist had to travel all the way from
>northern Namibia to Maputo to learn about things in his own country,
>but fortunately he was coming to a meeting in Maputo anyway, so there
>was no additional cost involved there... 8*)

Probably he belongs to the Ministry of Agriculture, Water and Rural
Development. This Ministry is connected in the capital through a
large South African Internet Service Provider, concentrating on
corporate customers (and no local support staff to speak of).

Global One has recently won the government account and their
press release is quite nice, 33 towns (or rather government offices
in 33 towns) are said to get connected...

I don't want to go into too many details (being a civil servant and all)
but the World Bank has been (and is) actually blocking Internet
development in areas within Namibia such as Tsumeb...

Way to go, Venancio!

>Maybe Dr. Eberhard would care to tell us about Tsumeb.

Tsumeb, a depressing little rural mining town on the border
to the reservations (50% of the Namibian people live northeast
and northwest of Tsumeb). Smack in the center of very fertile
land and they seem to get rains even during the droughts.

Like deeeeep Alabama but they seem to be making some progress
in their race relations recently...

As far as rural towns go here, not that bad. We got us a town called
Opuwo (translated this means: "The End"), that's bad :-)-O. 400 km
gravel road from the next town, bread and milk have to be imported
:-)-O.

We used to get a monthly trip paid to go shopping in Tsumeb during
the war...

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse\ / Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]> * | Resident Medical Officer