Help for DLI-LAW Archives

DLI-LAW Archives

Subject: OPEN COURT RECORDS?
From: Jack Kennedy Jr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 May 1997 22:45:54 -0400

Dear Listserv members,            ***********   http://www.courtbar.org

  I need your kind help. The Circuit Court for Wise County and the City of
Norton, Virginia, USA has been on-line with a web site for one year this
past May 1st. However, we now plan to proceed to posting the active court
docket including civil and criminal dockets the month of July. Attorneys,
state agencies, journalists, and open record advocates approve of the measure.
On the other hand, there are those who object to the docket information be
published on the Internet as an invasion of privacy. With recent legislation
offered the United States Congress, I am of the opinion that it may be
unwise to post social security numbers, date of birth, or residential
addresses. Nonetheless, the type of case, criminal charge, trail date, and
final dispostion
are believe are public documents with may be lawfully and ethically published by
any Clerk of Court.  Your opinions are valued, please.

    Two web sites before responding... the first from Government Technology

        http://www.govtech.net/1996/gt/may/elecdemomay/elecdemomay.htm

                                and

                    http://www.courtbar.org

Please give this issue some consideration and respond with any local
knowledge, expereince, ethical opinion, new state statute, regulation, or
bar opinion. All guidence welcome.
                                Respectfully,
                                 J. Jack Kennedy, Jr., Esq.
                                         http://www.courtbar.org