CELTIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  May 1997

CELTIC-L May 1997

CyberPatrol Revises Satanic/Cult Category - Long Post

Lowell & Nancy McFarland <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Wed, 28 May 1997 05:37:17 -0400

Susan Getgood <[log in to unmask]> of CyberPatrol wrote:

Dear Lowell:

Thank you for all your help and advice regarding Cyber Patrol and the
Satanic/Cult category.

Our Oversight Committee met on May 7th and discussed two issues of
interest
to the pagan/wiccan community.

We revisited the definition of Satanic/Cult. The group agreed that the
definition should be refined to make it easier to understand the types
of
material that should, and should not, be included under this category on
the CyberNOT list. The new definition is:

Satanic or Cult (graphics or text):
Satanic material is defined as:  Pictures or text advocating devil
worship,
an affinity for evil, or wickedness. A cult is defined as:  A closed
society, often headed by a single individual, where loyalty is demanded,
leaving may be punishable, and in some instances,  harm to self or
others
is advocated.  Common elements may include: encouragement to join,
recruiting promises, and influences that tend to compromise the personal
exercise of free will and critical thinking.

The Pagan and Wiccan material we have seen clearly does not meet the
criteria for Satanic or Cult.

Secondly, we discussed the subject of Oversight Committee membership. It
was decided not to expand the committee at this time, as it is currently
at
the maximum size for effective handling of the issues. However, the
Committee voted to invite a representative from the Pagan/Wiccan
community
to present at our Fall Meeting.  I invite you to join us, if you can, to
make a 30-minute presentation to the Oversight Committee, or to suggest
someone else who might be available to attend the meeting (which will be
held in mid-September). Should there be a committee vacancy at some time
in
the future, we will reconsider adding a pagan/wiccan representative at
that
time.

We greatly appreciate your having contacted us about this issue.  We
believe that the dialog we had with you and other Wiccans has given us
the
opportunity both to raise our consciousness about the issues you raise
as
well as to make our product better and more sensitive. Thank you for
taking
the time to educate us; we hope you will feel free to contact us in the
future if there are other websites you feel we are inappropriately
blocking.If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact
me.

Also, please feel free to post this message in the relevant newsgroups
and
listservs.

Regards,
Susan Getgood
Director of Marketing
Microsystems Software, Inc.

Susan Getgood, [log in to unmask]
Microsystems Software Inc., www.microsys.com
Tel.(508) 879-9000

Thank you to CyberPatrol for listening to the Celtic/Pagan
community and revising some of its policies.
Thanks especially to those in Celtic/Pagan community who joined
to unblock multiple Celtic/Pagan Web Sites which had been incorrectly
listed in the category of "Satanic/Cult" sites.
Besides getting these sites unblocked, the impartation of accurate
information about our beliefs, in our "constructive engagement" manner,
aided in changing CyberPatrol's basic policies.
I want to especially thank various online leaders of the Celtic/Pagan
community for their leadership, advice, support and for marshalling
the Celtic/Pagan community's response.
Perhaps the last few months have seen the best interaction and
focusing of mutual purposes amongst the Celtic/Pagan community
in America and Canada.
Our combined constructive engagment has apparently also brought some
changes (and an apparent apology) from CNN and ABC television with
regards to Witches and Pagan Web Sites.
As various Web Blocking companies expand into Europe and the Orient,
our success in North America, will also assist Celtic and Pagan Web
Sites worldwide to stay open and uncensored.
As unfair listing as "Satanic/Cult" of our Web Sites by one company
was just the most immediate problem needing attention by the
Celtic/Pagan community at large, there are many other issues
relative to Web Blocking companies and other dumb or intolerant
actions that need consideration by the community as a whole.

Permission also granted by Lowell McFarland to forward this post.

Thanks to all,
Loch Sloy!
Lowell McFarland  Celtic Renewal <[log in to unmask]>