AFRIK-IT May 1997

Re: Mefloquine--a warning

Andrew Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 May 1997 00:09:47 -0000

I know this issue has been highlighted in the UK, with the major impetus
being a TV programme (Panorama or World in Action, probably) showing
how many people have adverse reactions to the drug - which apparently
is up to 20% of people who take it. With the awareness of Lariam being
high in the UK, many people refuse it, choosing an alternative instead.

When I was given Lariam for my trip to Zim, the doctor was very
punctilious in pointing out that it can cause side effects - and some details
of what these side-effects might be, so that I would recognise them,
rather than confuse them with a disease. As it turned out, I had no
problems. When I was [Internet-] surfing before my trip, I noticed that
one doctor commented on the frequency of Lariam side effects being
higher for women: He speculated that this might be because the average
woman is lighter than the average man, and that maybe the drug's
manufacturers would do well to have different dosages for men and
women, or for light/medium/heavy people etc. - at the moment it's the
same dosage for everyone except kids.

It seems that all anti-malarials are horrible drugs - the other main one,
chloroquine can give liver and eye problems. Africa is particularly tricky
for having nasty strains of malaria that are to some degree resistant to
the drugs people take against it - which is why Lariam is favoured for
Africa, since it is currently the most effective prophylaxe.

The next generation of anti-malarials is rumoured to have even more
side effects! My thoughts on taking Lariam etc. is to do so, but to be
prepared for possible side effects. Being prescribed them by a doctor
that doesn't mention these seems irresponsible.

cheers,

Andrew Richards.