AFRIK-IT May 1997

Roaming

Jeff Cochrane <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 18 May 1997 17:30:21 -5

Greetings Afrik-ITes!

My hotel in Amsterdam uses a bizarre 5-pronged plug to link the
room's telephone to the house system.  By withdrawing the plug
slightly I can insert the contact points on my pocket voltage meter
to determine that there is indeed 50v DC current flowing with the
proper polarity through two of the 5 prongs.

I clip my aligators and hook up my modem.

Next step is to consult the handy list of worldwide dialup numbers
provided by Valley-Infi.Net, a small ISP in Utah that is a member of
something rather intriguing, the IPass Alliance.  Mike Jensen of
South Africa put me on to them.  Minimum $5 per month, plus online
charges for calls not in Utah.

Yes, there's a number for Amsterdam, but also for Maputo and Gaborone
and Abidjan and Dakar and Johannesburg -- all the stops on my present
trip.

I instruct my computer to dial the local Amsterdam number.  I type
in a rather complex series of numbers in response to various login
prompts to connect via SITA to Valley-Infi.Net in Utah.  A few
moments later, I'm online at 19,200bps -- I'll try upping to 28,800
next go round.

regular service provider in Washington, the Institute for Global
Communications.  When the mail exchange is completed, I quickly log
off.

The whole process took two minutes, and the connection seemed quite
fast.  I will be charged 22 cents a minute for being online, plus
about 50 cents for the local telephone call.  Not bad.

On my previous Africa trips, I've either had to dial international or
beg/borrow access through colleagues and friends, or pay rather stiff
registration fees to register with a new ISP in each town visited.

Boardwatch Magazine (the only magazine to which I subscribe!) has an
interesting story about Internet Roaming -- I think it was their
January issue.  There is an interesting follow up editorial in March.
 I don't have the URL for the specific story with me, but their
general address is www.boardwatch.com.

IPass and Pricing information are available:

www.ipass.com
www.mtwest.net/text/dial-up_prices.html
www.valley-infi.net/text/roaming/numbers.html

I'll be testing this system out at each of the stops on my present
trip.  Will be arriving Maputo tomorrow (Monday).

Implications -- companies like AfricaOnline seem interested in
establishing points of presence in each African country.  It might be
cheaper for ISPs simply to join a "roaming" alliance like IPass.
Small ISPs, like the small ISP in Utah that I am presently using, can
then offer worldwide network access for their customers.  Small ISPs
in Africa could presumably do the same.

Cheers!
Jeff @ Amsterdam

http://www.info.usaid.gov/alnk