Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: More of effluents
From: Ray Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Apr 1997 11:31:27 CST6CDT

I have seen reports of growing Chlorella on hog manure, and then
using it to feed to pigs afterwards. Like any quickly growing
microalga, Chlorella will have a high proportion of protein and
little structural matter (cell walls, etc.).

>Next question:  Can you burn a biomass created from cleaning up a
>waste stream?  If you can use the carbon from a coal plant flu gas
>to feed a fast growing, woody or diesel producing algae, you might
>actually replace some of the coal!  Has anyone seen research on
>this?

--Algal biomass is suitable to convert to biogas (methane) by
anaerobic fermentation. The methane, of course, could then be burned.
--No algae are woody; they don't produce lignin.
--There has been some research on growing algae on power plant flue
gas in Japan. When I saw it presented at the Marine Biotechnology
Congress in 1991, it seemed interesting but impractical.

Ray Lewis                         Department of Biology
Phone (630) 752-5300              Wheaton College
[log in to unmask]          Wheaton, IL  60187