Help for ACCESS Archives

ACCESS Archives

Subject: Re: PAL Decoders
From: Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 Apr 1997 17:02:58 -0500

[You're reading a message to the Media Access mailing list]

>The outfit I'm with has a cute design for a small (12cm x 3cm x 6cm)
>PAL/NTSC base band (goes between the "video out" on your VCR and "video in"
>on your monitor) closed caption decoder. In its basic version it can decode
>any line, field or channel (caption "channel" not TV channel -- it doesn't
>have a tuner).
>
>1)  Anybody out there in a position to place the thing in European markets
>(video rental stores, popular electronics houses, and the like)?

Sell it direct.

>2) What sort of features (other than line, channel and field selectors) do
>folks want (bear in mind that features cost money)?  For example, 150 hour
>battery operation as well as being able to use a "wall wart" power supply.
>Perhaps, RS-232 data recovery?

Actually, you might as well go whole-hog. Make a decoder that can display
World System Teletext, NTSC Line 21, and PAL Line 22 (and whatever they use
in SECAM). Make it multiformat, so you could feed it a PAL tape on Monday
and an NTSC tape Tuesday. Give it every conceivable input/output port,
including component video (needed for DVD), coaxial, RCA, S-VHS, and
antenna. Make bloody sure it doesn't interfere with SAP the way a
TeleCaption II does. Make it show colour captions on any colour TV. Full
FCC and EDS compliance. And for gosh sakes, contract with Matthew Carter to
design a proper font, which you could sublicense to other manufacturers.
(Don't do anything on the issue of typography without talking to me first.)
And yes, a universal power supply and battery operation would be desirable.

People would be willing to pay a reasonable sum for such a machine. And not
just Europeans. There still is a market for external decoders, let me tell
you.

                                        Joe Clark
                            <http://www.interlog.com/~joeclark>

--
CONTRIBUTIONS: Mail once only to [log in to unmask]