Help for ACCESS Archives

ACCESS Archives

Subject: Re: Decoder design and features (Was: Re: Pal Decoder)
From: Joe Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 23 Apr 1997 18:21:45 -0500

[You're reading a message to the Media Access mailing list]

>>> antenna. Make bloody sure it doesn't interfere with SAP the way a
>>> TeleCaption II does.
>
>I think that's a RF modulator problem, rather than a CC decoder problem.
>If anything, this seems to illustrate the problems you are putting on Wim. :)

No, the TeleCaption II is *known* to suppress SAP. In fact, it turns MTS
stereo into mono.

>>>Make it show colour captions on any colour TV. Full
>
>All CC chips for sale now, that I'm aware of, support color.

The Line 21 standard has always allowed colour. External decoders, as this
list learned a few months ago, are much more complicated to design if you
want them to *display* colour, which I do.

>>> FCC and EDS compliance. And for gosh sakes, contract with Matthew Carter
>
>That would be mandatory, in any event.

Not EDS.

>>> design a proper font, which you could sublicense to other manufacturers.
>
>The Zilog 86129 has provisions for programming custom fonts.  But that
>would be quite a job, which you may not seem to realize.

Oh, give me a break, honey. I have been following typography for 18 years,
have written extensively on it, *and* have talked to Matthew Carter about
designing captioning fonts. For those who don't know him, he's a
world-renowned type designer who has worked with every type technology over
the last 40 years. He redesigned Caledonia times three for _Time_, Walbaum
for _Wired_. Some of his fonts are Galliard, Mantinia, and two of
Microsoft's free screen fonts, Verdana and Georgia, both designed to be
readable on screen as opposed to paper. If anything, Matthew Carter and I
are the *only* people who understand what a job it actually is-- and the
state of captioning fonts today.

> I have the data
>book for that chip and its font actually looks good, but I won't know for
>certain until I get the chip and build it into something.

Yeah, well, dumb-ass American engineers have thought every caption font
the're ever produced looks good, even though they rarely have descenders,
lack accented characters, and betray many subtle indications that the
designers are not, in fact, designers.

                                        Joe Clark
                            <http://www.interlog.com/~joeclark>

--
CONTRIBUTIONS: Mail once only to [log in to unmask]