Help for ACCESS Archives

ACCESS Archives

Captioning Awareness

Steve and Jamie Berke <[log in to unmask]>

Steve and Jamie Berke <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:41:54 -0500

[You're reading a message to the Media Access mailing list]

Why don't we borrow an idea from our neighbors in Canada and have a
Captioning Awareness Day or Week?

We could easily start one ourselves, sponsored by various deaf and hoh
organizations. Awards could be given, for example an award given to the
broadcaster that captions most of its programming.

Many of our national holidays did not start out that way. They started out
as traditions which just grew and spread and gained so much acceptance that
finally they were made official national holidays.

We could do the same for captioning awareness. Even after the TCA '96's
requirements become law, there will still be a need for awareness
particularly with regard to those mediums not covered by the TCA '96.

Better yet, to include audio description, why not call it a Media
Accessibility Awareness Day/Week? Separate awards could then be given for
captioning achievements and for audio description achievements.

--
CONTRIBUTIONS: Mail once only to [log in to unmask]