Help for ACCESS Archives

ACCESS Archives

Publicity effort update

Steve and Jamie Berke <[log in to unmask]>

Steve and Jamie Berke <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:45:40 -0400

[You're reading a message to the Media Access mailing list]

If it is Monday, it must be time for me to post an update to Media Access.
So here goes:

Per the results of the recent vote to go ahead and try to get the word out
now before the FCC releases its regulations, I have:

1. E-mailed an informative "come-on" message to hundreds of newspapers, and
I'm still contacting newspapers as I haven't worked my way through all of
the addresses. In my message to the reporters, I pointed out that some
broadcasters are less than enthusiastic and pressuring the FCC to "take it
easy" on them. Lots of bad addresses, but the database that remains after
deleting bad ones is in good shape, so this "dry run" will help when the
time comes to send out an official news release.
2. Bugged a few reporters on America Online, where I have another e-mail
address.
3. E-mailed certain e-zines
4. Submitted a brief message to the administrator of two key listservs,
tv-tech and broadcast-fcc (I did not know about that one til the
administrator responded to my e-mail). The administrator posted the message
to both lists at my request. I have no plans to subscribe to those lists as
I already subscribe to enough listservs.
5. Posted a brief message to a couple of appropriate usenet newsgroups.

Results so far:

No one has said yet that they will write any articles on the upcoming FCC
captioning regulations, but I have received some e-mail replies from a few
newspapers saying that my message has been passed on, and one said a Sunday
newspaper editor is looking it over. So keep your fingers crossed guys -- we
may soon see a little publicity!

Last but not least: any fans of the Little Rascals (Spanky, Alfalfa, Porky,
Buckwheat, Darla, etc.) out there? If you are a Rascals fan, then you know
that when Republic transferred the rights to the films to Cabin Fever, Cabin
Fever did not closed caption its 21-volume series of the Little Rascals.
(Republic had captioned six precious volumes in the early 1990s). There is
now a listserv for the discussion of the Little Rascals, and I have just
joined it and posted an introduction in which I complained about the lack of
closed captions on the Cabin Fever series. If you are a Rascals fan who was
upset at the lack of closed captions after Cabin Fever took over, here is
your chance to complain publicly.

To subscribe:
send e-mail to:

in body:

subscribe ourgang <[log in to unmask]>

--
CONTRIBUTIONS: Mail once only to [log in to unmask]