Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: Zebra Mussels & Water Quality
From: joseph v depinto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 1997 08:55:11 -0500

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, PhycoTech wrote:

> Hello All.  I had someone from a lake association ask me about the mechanism
> with which zebra mussels clear the water column and what happens afterward.
> The clearing effect is well documented, but he is asking about what taxa
> become prevalent after the initial clearing event.  He attended a lake
> management seminar where they were saying that after the initial clearing
> event (when it happens),  that toxic blue-greens would dominate and
> subsequently kill the zebra mussels.  I hadn't heard this scenario before
> and told him I would post a query.  I had read about the potential for the
> zebra mussels using their food source (algae) and then essentially starving,
> but not directly causing toxic blue-green algal blooms.  I guess I could see
> a competitive release situation, but the resulting assemblage could easily
> be a mixed bag of all sorts of blue-greens and other large algae.  It
> sounded as if the seminar was hitting the "zebra mussels are good" line and
> even if they aren't, they'll cause their own demise line.  Although I wasn't
> there, I think this is very simplistic.  Any thoughts?
> --
> *     Ann St. Amand, Ph.D.
> *     PhycoTech
> *     520 Pleasant St.
> *     Suite 210
> *     St. Joseph,  Michigan  49085
> *
> *     Phone:  (+55) 616-983-3654
> *     Fax:    (+55) 616-983-3653
> *     Email:  [log in to unmask]
> *
> *     Specializing in algal analysis
> *     and related services!

        Late summer blue-green algal blooms have been documented
subsequent to zm invasion in Saginaw Bay, western basin of Lake Erie, and
Oneida Lake. Hank Vanderploog at NOAA-GLERL has demonstrated that zm will
selectively reject microcystis, which gives them a competitive advantage.
But it takes more than that. Bierman has shown with a phytoplankton-zm
model that alternation of phosphorus recycle by zm and an enhanced late
summer sediment release of SRP is also requesite to seeing this blue-green
bloom condition.

Joseph V. DePinto, Director
Great Lakes Program                       "A model is only as good as the data
University at Buffalo                    from which it was developed."
202 Jarvis Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-4400
ph: 716-645-2088; fax: 716-645-3667

        "It is the mark of an instructed mind to rest satisfied with the degree of
 precision which the nature of the subject permits and not to seek an exactness
 where only an approximation of the truth is possible."
                                                        ---Aristotle
-----In other words, "Keep It Simple Stupid!!"