Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: help
From: "Peter L. Kallin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Mar 1997 19:39:02 -0500

Keith-
        Check out:
Hammer, Donald A. (Ed), 1989.  "Constructed Wetlands for Wastewater
Treatment, Municipal, Industrial, and Agricultural", Lewis Publishers ,
Chelsea, Michigan
Numerous references in this area, using algae and other crops such as
water chestnuts or water hyacinths.  Bottom line- can work very well if
designed properly. Remediates contaminated waste stream and
can produce additional cash crop for farmer.
Specific paper:
Costello, C. J. "Wetlands Treatment of Dairy Animal Wastes in Irish
Drumlin Landscape" in above volume.
Pete

 On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, K.Wyatt. wrote:

> I am looking for information about growing algae in the waste stream of
> dairy farms. I believe you could use the nitrogen in the waste
> as a food source for the algae, but i dont know if it is possible. If algae
> does grow under these conditions it may be a good way to remediate
> contaminated water. Do you know anyone who is working in this
> area? Thanks keith Wyatt, Ph.D
> martin

Peter L. Kallin                                |
Water Resources Program                        |
Civil Engineering and Operations Research Dept |
Princeton University  E-Quad E-322             |
Princeton, NJ  08544                           |

Phone: (609) 258-5783    Fax: (609) 258-2799   |
e-mail: [log in to unmask]                   |