AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  March 1997

AFRIK-IT March 1997

Internet in Mauritius (Indian Ocean)

Altaf Hussein Dossa <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:44:37 +0400

Greetings to all,

Allow me to re-introduce myself, my name is Altaf Hussein Dossa from
Mauritius Island. I have long been in the communication field with my fido
node in Mauritius (5:7261/3) and now more actively in the Indian Ocean
region and hopefully in the African region as well. I would like to share
with my African collegues, the ongoing activities in the IO region but
first of all some background info on Mauritius :

Mauritius is a parliamentary democracy governed by a Prime Minister, a
council of Ministers and a National Assembly. The Head of State is the
President who is nominated by the Prime Minister and confirmed by the
Assembly, and whose power is largely ceremonial. The island is 1865 sq km
in size with a population of about 1.2 million. The capital is Port Louis.
The official language is English but French is the most spoken language.

The island has an open and dynamic ecomony which is heavily dependant on
international trade. The economy is based on export-led manufacturing
(mainly garments), sugar and tourism, fuelled by relatively cheap labour
and preferential access to markets in Euroupe and the US for the country's
principal exports, sugar and garments.

Now, coming to the part that is of interest to us, Mauritius has had its
first ISP since Feb 1996. Telecom Plus (TP) is a result of a joint venture
between France Cable et Radio and Mauritius Telecom (MT, the local PTT).
Both MT and TP are in a position of monopoly. TP offers lease line PPP
connection (19.2 and 64 kbps) as well as dial-up PPP connections to
businesses and individuals. The rates for dial-up PPP accounts are as
follows :

        Exchage rate            US$ 1 ~ Rs 20

        Monthly subscription    = Rs 200        = US$ 5
        Monthly Email ac.       = Rs 200        = US$ 5
        Charge / min            = Rs 1.50       = US$ 0.075 (from 07:00 -
19:00)
                                = Rs 1.00       = US$ 0.050 (from 19:00 -
07:00)

We currently have a 512 Kbps X.25 uplink split between France Telecom and
Sprint.

Being a consultant, I am currently working in collaboration with the
francophone organisation, AUPELF-UREF (Agence francophone pour
l'enseignement superieur et la recherche) and other organisations on the
promotion of information exchange (environmental, ...) in the region.  To
that respect, I recently set up a database information system which is
accessible from the Internet. The database contains 4 elements -
consultants, projects, institutions and publications in the sector of
environment. The name of the ongoing programme is REDES OI (Reseau d'Expert
Developpement Environnement Sud - Ocean Indien) and was initiated by Enda
OI. The database is hosted in Madagascar and should be mirrored in
Mauritius by the end of next week. We are also in the process of creating a
regional Environmental Information System.

On a more commercial basis, the IOC (Indian Ocean Commission) will be
starting the project PRIDE (Projet Regional Integre de Developpement des
Echanges) shortly. Well, there is a lot of projects with French names :)
However, we also do have some partners for the AfricaLink Initiative of the
USAID and certain projects of the World Bank which contain IT modules.

Apart from that, we are in the process of hooking up our 5 public hospitals
using an intranet system but having a gateway to the Internet as well. The
objective here is to make the doctors in the public and private sectors
share knowledge and experience using the "latest" communication tools. The
Ministry of Education has also set as target, to introduce Internet at
secondary level schools. The initiative will provide the schools with an
additional phone line and the hardware package necessary to use the various
services of the net.

Well, I don't want to make this email (by the way, the French equivalent to
email is "courriel") msg too long. So if more information is needed on "my"
side of Africa, please feel free to drop me a line ;)

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers

Altaf