Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Ceist mu dheidhinn "syntax"
From: "Caoimhin P. ODonnaile" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 20 Feb 1997 11:53:01 +0000

Thuirt Bill:

> However, the weather remains consistently feminine - "Tha i fuar...etc"

Tha ann an Innse Gall, ach chan eil anns an Eilean Sgitheanach!

It certainly is in the Western Isles, but the weather is masculine in
Skye.  I found this out after I produced a demo multiple-choice Gaidhlig
test, which you'll find at:

   http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/cgi-bin/deuchainn

One of the questions has the answer "Tha *i" briagh an-diugh", but the
Sgitheanaich started telling me that this was wrong.  So I asked the
neighbours and found that they all say "Tha e briagh an-diugh".

I don't know how many other areas apart from Skye say "e" for the
weather.  In Irish Gaelic the weather is masculine, but in Breton
it is feminine.

Caoimhín