AFRIK-IT February 1997

Distance Education Conference in Ghana

Max Freund <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Feb 1997 01:13:53 -0500

[My apologies if you've already received a copy of this announcement...]

Greetings all.

The Ghana Distance Education Project, an initiative jointly sponsored by
the Voluntary Workcamps Association of Ghana and Operation Crossroads
Africa, is planning a conference on issues of distance education and
telecommunications in Sub-Saharan Africa.  The conference will be held in
Accra, Ghana, and is tentatively scheduled for December 10-14, 1997.

We would like to float our idea to all people working in these and other
related areas, and solicit your feedback and assistance in planning the
conference.  We especially welcome advice and help from others who have
planned international conferences of this sort, and from people who would
like to participate actively in the planning and execution of the
conference.

Some of the conference's goals could be:

* To create an awareness of computer literacy needs at the community and
grassroots level;

* To promote electronic networking for development in Africa;

* To explore possibilities and barriers to developing national/international
goals for infusing computer literacy into primary, secondary, and tertiary
education
in Africa;

* To create a demonstration effect on public opinion in terms of  what
information technology can offer for national and international development;

* To increase awareness of how the computer and electronic connectivity can
reorient youth groups toward the economy and labor market of the 21st
century; and

* To strengthen the capacity of grassroots organizations and low
incomecommunities to initiate, choose, plan and manage their own self help
projects through computer technology and information systems.

Areas of work in planning the conference include:

- Theme/goals: What are the conference's organizing principles and goals?
How can it complement other conferences and meetings planned over the
coming year and contribute to the effort to advance telecommunications and
distance education in Africa?  What should the conference's primary theme
(and sub-themes) be?

- Budget and finance: including fee scale, travel assistance, and external
fundraising.

- Marketing and Outreach: Who will the conference be targeted to?  How big
an event are we envisioning?  How can we spread the word and get presenters
and participants to come?  How can we ensure that people from Africa know
about and participate in the conference?

- Logistics: venue, accomodation, social events, etc.

- Content:  Who will review the potential presenters' proposals?  How
should we go about screening participants?

If you would like to contribute to this effort, please let us know.  Make
sure to cc: the following people in your reply, since I'm going to be
incommunicado for the next couple of weeks.

Prof. Osei Darkwa
University of Illinois-Chicago

Cecil Washington
Operation Crossroads Africa
UC Berkeley/Oberlin College

Bill Owen
Reston Enterprises, Ghana

Thank you!

Max Freund
(Volunteer, Ghana Distance Education Project)