Re: consonant groups

Daibhidh Ealaghoil <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 1996 16:51:14 +0000

Sgri\obh Dvixen <[log in to unmask]>, ann <199612040125.RAA03556@coastn
et.com>
>I don't know any native speakers of Gaelic. The gent
>that was teaching us, was not the most consistant person for
>pronunciation, so I have had to go on what little I can find out here.
>(Now that someone has told me I was wrong about the denatls, I will be
>striving to correct that.)

Remember that just as with Beurla (and every other language AFAIAA)
almost every person you meet, be they native speaker or learner, will
have slightly different pronunciation. Added to that most speakers have
more than one register of use.

I'm not trying to make it sound difficult, just pointing out that one
person's idea of perfect diction is another person's idea of regional
accent.

For an opportunity for intermediate to advanced learners to hear a
variety of Gaidhlig speakers from several areas in unscripted
conversation about various subjects I (as a learner) would recommend the
"Abair" videos. The videos are available at a very reasonable price from
Acair in Stornoway.

<http://www.hebrides.com/acair>

email: [log in to unmask]

I am not sure if the videos are available in US video format, but I
understand that that is not always a problem.

A book containing a verbatim transcript is also available and
recommended.

N.B. This is no holds barred Gaidhlig, including local variations in
usage and spellings, so don't be surprised if you have to work at it, I
certainly do!

Le meas
Daibhidh
An t-Eilean Sgitheanach, Alba (Isle of Skye, Scotland)
[log in to unmask] Cu\m Ga\idhlig Beo\