CELTIC-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

CELTIC-L Home

CELTIC-L  December 1996

CELTIC-L December 1996

Re: Celts and the Corporate Entertainment Culture

Moira <[log in to unmask]>

CELTIC-L - The Celtic Culture List.

Wed, 25 Dec 1996 18:57:25 -0800

 What you refer to as "American culture" is not really American. Another
name for it is "popular culture" and it isn't really popular at, either..

It is a peculiar aspect of what could be called a global monoculture
marketing effort.   Almost every large corporation with
headquarters in the U.S. that produces the entertainment culture is global in
scope. I personally do not identify with so-called "American culture"  or
with so-called "popular culture."

 I read the other day that 5 or FEWER media corporations own most of the
media
 in the world.  Disney, Inc., is thought of as an "American" company, yet it
 owns T.V. stations, radio stations, AND film companies to the tune of
 billions of dollars in Ireland, Germany, England, and other countries.
 Michael Eisner, head of Disney, makes hundreds of thousands of dollars per
hour  to produce his personal and highly idiosyncratic version of coporate
entertainment culture.

 When I grew up, we shopped at a small market owned by one man. When you
 walked in, he greeted you, AND asked about your family. It was very
 friendly. Now he, and almost all small family-owned stores are gone.

 Many of these huge chains begAn in the United States. But to call them
 "American" is not accurate, as probably 99% of Americans do not own them OR
ANY PART OF THEM.   The AMERICAN WORKERS may work in them as wage slaves, but
they do not own OR CONTROL these companies.

  It would be more accurate to refer to the large mega-chains like McDonalds
 as A GLOBAL corporate culture.  It would be more accurate to refer to
Disney, Warner
 Brothers, and other multi-billion dollar global entertainment enterprises as
   producers of the global  corporate entertainment culture.

 When I lived in Canada, I heard people say again and again how much they
 hated "American culture."   I hated it, too.  As a teacher, I saw only too
well
 what the corporate entertainment culture is doing to our youth, be it in the
 U.S., Canada, or anywhere else.

 How can a Celt resist this omnipresent corporate culture?

 FIRST OF ALL, TEACH CHILDREN THAT AUTHENTIC ALTERNATIVES EXIST.  Take your
own kids to the Highland Games, take them to Native American
 pow-wows, take them to see Mariachi Dancers, AND take them to see Irish step
 dancers. TEACH THEM TO CARVE, TO PAINT, TO PLAY, TO MOLD, AND TO MAKE THINGS
FOR THEMSELVES.  Turn off the television.  Don't buy Hollywood-made movies,
andCELTI don't consume them. That is your right.  My kids almost never watch TV;
 they play together in endless imaginary play, like we used to do when
 we were kids.

 SECOND, AFTER THEY UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE ENTERTAINMENTS OTHER THAN THE
CORPORATE PRODUCTS, TEACH THEM ABOUT THE INAUTHENTICITY AND EXPLOITATIVENESS
OF THE CORPORATE ENTERTAINMENT CULTURE, AND HOW TO IDENTIFY IT AND AVOID IT.
 Once I walked into a chain store to buy my daughter a nightgown.  EVERY
 single one had a Disney image on it.   [Disney gets of  course a kickback for
 all of these products.]    I walked out and went to a small store and bought a
 nightie with no Disney or Warner BroTHERS images on it.  In the malls here,
there
 are Disney and Warner BroTHERS stores that are full of junk with their
CORPORATE logos all over it.  It is a multi-billion or trillion dollar
business, marketing this junk to our children.

 Give your child authentic gifts FROM AUTHENTIC PEOPLE-CENTERED CULTURES,
such as something from a Native American
 store, or from an Irish store.

 I would appreciate any other suggestions as to how people rescue their own
 kids from the corporate entertainment culture.

 Moira