Subject: Re: Small caps problem
From: Christina Thiele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 13 Nov 1996 23:45:24 EST

Rodolfo Capeto writes:

> My problem was: some of these acronyms were in fact composites where you
> had a word appended, for instance NetBIOS, and then no solution seemed to
> work: would I keep 'BIOS' in small caps and 'Net' in normal upper and
> lower case? Rather ugly shape, and seemed to fall apart. Would I use a
> small cap 'N' and then lower case 'et'? The 'N' and the other small caps
> looked dwarfish this way. Would I *refine* this solution by setting the
> 'et' one or two points smaller? I eventually did this, but I'm quite
> ashamed to tell you!  ;-)
>
> regards,
> Rodolfo

I have on occasion run across such critters as NetBIOS -- well, not
that one, but similiar ones (GUTenberg -- the French TeX users group,
for example).

My tendancy would be -- that's right: throw the ALL-CAPS portion down
one point -- just not all the way down to SC. It's possible to be
offended (raise your hands!) by the fact that one cap (the initial N)
is left in the text size (10pt, let's say), but it seems to me that
better only one of 'em than 5 of the big beasts ;-)

Ch.

P.S. I think some GUTenberg members are on this list; perhaps they
     have a standard way of setting the group's name? ... which, if it
     differs from my little fantasy, means I'll have to find another
     example ... ;-)