Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Stigeoclonium taxonomy
From: Ciro Cesar Zanini Branco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 28 Nov 1996 15:46:57 GMT-03

Dear Colleagues,
    I am a PhD student working on the Chaetophoraceae family in
Brazilian streams and one of my aims is to analise the validity of
the taxonomic criteria currently used in specific identification of
the genus Stigeoclonium. Basically, I am concerned with the
controversial use of prostrate vs. erect systems. In some
populations, I have often observed a some specimen showing prostrate
system of S. helveticum (sensu Cox & Bold, i.e. rhizoids developing
from the base of erect filaments) and erect system of S. subsecundum
(sensu Islam, i.e. cells producing lateral branches having some
differentiation to main axis). I would appreciate receiving comments
or suggestions about this taxonomic problem on this group of green
algae. I will summarize the eventual replies to the list. Thank you
in advance for considering this request.

Ciro C.Z. Branco
Department of Botany
e-mail - [log in to unmask]