Subject: Re: Getting tight?
From: Don Hosek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 18 Oct 1996 01:26:27 PDT

>>I think a lot of designers look at something like the Tschichold
>>layout, take it literally and either accept the result completely or
>>reject it outright without attempting to understand the principles
>>underlying it.

>As I understand it, the 'principles underlying it' are that a
>Platonic ideal, the sheer mathematical beauty of the golden section,
>mirrored on paper gives rise to a beautiful page. The only slight
>problem with this is that, unfortunately, it doesn't. It gives rise
>to a layout whose mise en page appears to have been cut loose from
>its shorings.

>I'm a huge fan of the golden section, incidentally (and I have quite
>a high regard for Tschichold, too) - but I have learned to my cost
>that the simple application of 'beautiful' geometry, particularly
>when it contradicts the judgment of the eye, doesn't make for
>beautiful pages.

I think more important than such things as golden section-type
proportions is the relationship of the proportions of the text block
to the proportions of the margins and of the page as a whole. A page
in which the corners of the text block are on the diagonal of the page
as a whole looks a lot better than a page in which this is not done.
Of course, this requires additional judgment to take into account the
fold at bindings etc., but is not an intractable goal.

-dh

--
Don Hosek           [log in to unmask]    Quixote Digital Typography
909-621-1291        fax: 909-625-1342     orders: 800-810-3311