Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: toxic cyanobacteria
From: Richard Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:39:37 -0600

Dear Bas van Geel,
About 25 years ago James Walker (Arecibo Observatory) and I toyed with the
idea that fossil heterocyst spacing patterns might be indicators of
atmospheric N2 concentration. Might be worth following up.
Yours, -Dick Gordon

At  3:44 PM 10/10/96 +0200, Bas van Geel wrote:
>Dear colleagues,
>I am a paleo-ecologist very interested in the role of algae and
>cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) as environmental indicators in the past. I
>found that immediately after the cold/warm transition at the end of the
>Last Ice Age Gloeotrichia's played an important role as neutrogen fixing
>organisms in shallow lakes in NW-Europe. They were the pioneers in an
>originally N-poor environment.
>I suppose that crust-forming cyanobacteria played a role on the barren sand
>dunes that were present in NW-Europe after this cold/warm transition
>(around 13,000 years ago). Crusts of cyanobacteria may have been physical
>barriers for germinating seeds, and maybe some of these cyanobacteria may
>have been toxic.
>My question is:
>Are there any known crust-forming, soil-inhabiting cyanobacteria that are
>toxic for flowering plants (at least in the seed germination phase)? If so,
>please mention literature!
>Best wishes,
>Bas van Geel
>

>+--------------------------+-------------------------------------+
>|  Bas van Geel            | Internet E-mail :[log in to unmask] |
>|  University of Amsterdam | Phone secr.     :+31-20 525 7844    |
>|  Faculty of Biology      | Direct phone    :+31-20 525 7664    |
>|  Kruislaan 318           | Fax             :+31-20 525 7662    |
>|  NL - 1098 SM Amsterdam  |                                     |
>|  The Netherlands         |                                     |

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, Room ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9 Canada
Phone: (204) 789-3828,  Fax: (204) 787-2080, Home: (204) 589-0411
E-mail: [log in to unmask]