AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  October 1996

AFRIK-IT October 1996

Re: [2] Linux vs. Win95/NT

Dr Eberhard W Lisse <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Oct 1996 10:04:45 +0200

TEXT/PLAIN

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 19:25:03 +0100 [log in to unmask] (Akin Akinbola)
wrote:

>Greetings great Afrik-ites:
>
>Having been operating in the lurking mode for some time, I could not
>resist the temptation to contribute to this discussion.

I have been reading the Linux vs Windows NT posts with interest.
I was waiting for some more contributions, but seems to ne they will
not be forthcoming.

[...]

>General Data Engineering Services runs a full TCP/IP Intranet in Nigeria,
>with UUCP link to the Internet for email. The network is built around Linux,
>and it is very stable. Getting to grips with the software was quite easy.
>With about 50 single user clients, and 10 multiuser mail clients, the
>network is poised to grow.

How do you do your UUCP exactly? And what is your throughput? We more then
doubled our throughput when batching and gzipping our mail. smail does it
transparently and I recently found a very neat package called bsmtp (15KB)
which does it for sendmail (and smail of course).

>Scripting, flexible accounting, etc are some of the benefits - but it
>does take some learning.

Well, here we go then:

WIndows NT is not Open. They say it is, but it is not. Its front end impresses
many Windows users because it looks so familiar. But that's that. Microsoft
takes liberties with the RFCs and even v4 is giving lots of network related
problems. The previous versions are downright unusable, from broken resolvers
to nonfunctoning mail.

You need to be able to run the standard networking tools, such as BIND and
sendmail
or smail and so on. You CAN find tools that derive therefrom but still you are
at
Bill's mercy.

Support? They will refer you to your nearest Microsoft partner...

Make no mistake, Windows NT is a great package for LANs that need to run
databases and so with users that are not computer buffs. But at the
very least you need one unix system which can do all these things in a
standard manner. And SCO it is not :-)-O

I have previously (already years ago) advocated Linux in particular for
developing
countries. You get a complete operating system with all the source code you
want.
You get standard tools, which work! You get all the documentation you need with
the CDs it comes on.  You get the source code to some of the books that have
been
written on linux, networking and system administration. You get lifetime, free
support, I have yet to wait more then a week (usually a day) for a reply from
either the original author or the current maintainer of a package if I think I
have found a bug or if I have a problem.

I am a medical practitioner in a district hospital in Africa, if I can manage
from what is provided on the CD (and set up a national IP link with it :-)-O),
our computer scientists and engineers can easily.

The other day I meet this elderly lady in the National Archives, using
the UNESCO ISIS package which was written for SCO. They are wired into our
backbone, of course using linux. She has taken to recompile the kernel
on her own to incorporate the SCO compatibility package. So we are all very
impressed around here and I ask her: "Isn't this advanced stuff a bit
difficult?"
So she says: "Not at all, it's all there, just read the manuals". And I
explained
RTFM to her :-)-O

You can use linux to teach a full B.Sc. Computer Science course. It is all
there.

There is of course a learning curve, but we should not think buying a commercial
product would solve anything. No major network development project that
I am aware of proposes Windows NT, it's either Linux or one of the BSDs.

Windows NT works for a few installations where there is very good access to
the Internet and support. But the majority of experiences that I have read
warn you off. I have seen several setups here in Namibia:

DON'T DO IT!

>If I need to setup another network, it definitely will be Linux.

Well, some say FreeBSD but Linux does have the advantage that it is extremely
well supported and about everything but the kitchen sink is ported already.

Both are free, Windows NT is not...

el

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /                  Swakopmund State Hospital
<[log in to unmask]>            *        |                   Resident Medical Officer