Subject: Re: Goudy and punchcutting (was Re: once again: just *what* is
From: Just van Rossum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 10 Sep 1996 13:49:13 +0200

Just van Rossum:
> Even if he would have cut punches by hand (did he?),

Harvey Fishman:
> Yes, he most certainly did.

Don Hosek:
> Really? My memory is that he had his punches cut for him until he got
> a Benton pantograph to make matrices from his own paper patterns.

Harvey Fishman:
> I was pretty sure that when I read the book about the face he designed for
> the University of California, he made a point that he always did his own as
> he felt that that was the very heart of type design.  There was even a
> picture of him hard at work, cutting away (with the pantograph) but I
> thought I remember him saying he did it manually earlier.  But it has been
> several years since I read the book so it is very possible that my memories
> have dimmed.  The book was borrowed from the public library, so I cannot
> easily check immediately.

I just looked in Walter Tracy's "Letters of Credit", it has a looong
section about Goudy and his typefaces. I found an interesting bit on the
subject on page 142:

        [...]
        In the same style, but with stronger colour, was the Goudy Antique,
        which was begun in 1919, the same year as Collier, though it was not
        actually made as matrices and type until 1926.
        It was, in fact, the first type in which Goudy attempted the whole
        process of type making -- drawing the design, cutting tha patterns,
        engraving the matrices, casting the type -- a remarkable enterprise for
        a man in his sixty-first year.

So he did work "closely to the format", but it is not cutting punches by
hand (which means actually cutting the punches in metal in the *real*
size.)

Just