Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

Subject: Re: Messages
From: Michael Epah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Sep 1996 08:29:13 +0200

> I have received may of your messages which as one can see are a discussion
> between two people.
>
> I know some us are still learning the use of e-mail. When you want to
> send mail to a specific individual, try send it directly to them. What I have
> been receiving is copies of mail intended for specific persons. Try and not
> use the list name address because if you do ALL the AFRIK-ITers get the
> mail. Yes we dont mind receiving mail intended for all. That is good.
> Comments to a discussion document should be sent to the originator, unless
> all AFIK-ITers are intended to receive such comment, i.e. starting general
> discussion.

I don't think it is wrong send "Comments to a discussion document" to the
to all Afrik-ITers. You can never tell ahead of time if it will spark up
a general discussion or not. I have also found some "messages which as one can see are a discussion between two people" very informative.
I can understand if someone with bandwidth problems complains about
"useless messages". But on the otherhand, it is impossible to avoid
receiving messages in a mailing group that are for one reason or the other
"useless" to oneself. Again I can't tell untill I have read a message
whether it is "useless" or not.

best wishes

Michael Epah