Subject: Re: neckshot, smeckshot
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Wed, 14 Aug 1996 18:06:41 EDT

Eamon Mag Uidhir <[log in to unmask]> argued hotly:

[...]

> Bureaux have been surviving on the added value trade, charging lazy or
> cowardly designers a fat fee for just opening a file in some straightforward
> app and pumping it out as film. Sometimes it has been worth it, for example
> when a scary bit of colour handling is in question. Most of the time it's
> entirely unnecessary.

It sounds as if Eamon has been ripped off by service bureaux and resents it :-)

However, none of this has anything to do (I hope!) with the issue of
why it is illegal to give copies of a font to someone else simply because
they are doing some processing involving something you were involved in.

Microsoft tried to simplify things a little with TrueType, by letting the
font designer or vendor say whether a document containing an embedded font
could be edited or not.  In practice, since their early TT renderer crashed
at least some typesetting RIPs, it didn't help very much :-)

One direct-to-plate web printer in Toronto often ends up editing the
PostScript rather than opening files in PageMunger or Quonk.

I have encountered helpful places that do not overcharge; I have also
encountered helpful places that charge incredible rates, and unhelpful
places to which I have not returned.  There's a difference in price for
a colour photocopy of about a factor of 40 between least and most expensive;
in Toronto; if you want to burn money, go to CCD on King Street and pay over
Cdn$40 (+GST) for a US letter sized ``colour proof'', for example.  You give
them the mac floppy, they press %-P and charge $40.  But I am told that
for more complex jobs their service is just about unbeatable.

> (PS what's a neckshot? Is it one of these All-American sporting metaphors,
> out of ice-hockey, basketball, wildlife destruction etc?)

I assumed it was from the assassin's practice of aiming the rifle at the neck.

Lee

--
Liam Quin, SoftQuad Inc    | lq-text freely available Unix text retrieval
[log in to unmask] +1 416 239 4801 | FAQs: Metafont fonts, OPEN LOOK UI, OpenWindows