Re: Pet peeves

Jim Lynch <[log in to unmask]>

TYPO-L Discussion of Type and Typographic Design <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Aug 1996 21:38:42 -0400

Surely we are smart enough to figure out that the "grocer's" refers to the
(unspoken) "shop" of the "grocer", whereas the rest of the instances of the
liberal apostrophe (shirt's, come's, etc's) are the personification of the poor
schooling quality levels and parental coddling prevalent in recent generations.

For perspective, I am personally aware of a "second world" area where people who
_should_ know better simply sprinkle commas liberally throughout every document
without rhyme or reason in the ignorance that it will look 'right' or more
professional - then they spoil the entire pretty effect for the rest of us and
don't capitalise any characters at all!

Ah, well. Can't win 'em all.

Jim Lynch('s)