Subject: Re: Type1 font editor for Unix, is there?
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Fri, 9 Aug 1996 21:42:32 EDT

> Can anybody recommend a good ^(1) half-way affordable ^(2)
> Postscript Type 1 font creation/editing tool for Unix?

I only know of three Unix font packages, and only one (maybe two) that
deal with Type 1 fonts.  Well, not including batch tools.

[1] URW Ikarus used to run on Sun workstations, I think.
    Does it still?  Don't know.

[2] Typo, from a firm in Israel, runs on Suns, and does Type 1 and F3,
    or so I have been told.  I've never seen it.  See the comp.fonts FAQ
    at jasper.ora.com (or wherever it's about to move to).

[3] Sun's FontMaker autohinter package creates F3 format fonts from
    Ikarus outlines.  I don't know if it has any interactive components.

I can't say that any of these are likely to be less than $1,000 -- the third
used to be $100,000 at one point, although it might be free now, if you
can work out who to ask.  Since F3 fonts are not widely supported outside
of Sun's OpenWindows and NeWSPrint, it's probably not worth learning.

In addition, Karl Berry's GNU FontUtils includes an X previewer for TeX
Metafont files, as I recall, or possibly for some other outline format;
Lee Hetherington's t1utils package can assemble & disassemble Type 1 fonts,
and is useful if you want to change an encoding without losing hints, for
example.  I used it to fix a bug in Celestia & add a character or two :-)

I have been thinking for a while that a font editor would make an
interesting Java project.  But I am too busy... :-(

Lee