Subject: May I change the subject?
From: James Souttar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 30 Aug 1996 18:16:45 +0100

Tim:

>Let's see...I'd be interested in critical reactions of the list
>members to the quality of Mrs Eaves, a recent Emigre face designed
>by Zuzana Licko. I think its interesting how the face "behaves" in
>letterpress and offset and how these appearances compare to
>actual material that J. Baskerville set and printed in Baskerville.

I'm really glad that Zuzana did it, although I'm not sure I would
want to use it myself. She's gone after an 'idea', rather than an
'academic' revival (much as Goudy might have done). I like this
approach, although the 'idea' I'd have gone after in foundry
Baskerville would have been a different one. The x-height is a bit
too small for my taste - gives the face something of a Bernhardt
Modern/Cochin feel... and to my eye the italic is just too quirky.
I'm also a bit curious about the 'ligature maker' idea - is this some
kind of post modernist joke? I thought these 'new wave' designers
didn't approve of all that fusty Fine Print stuff...

>Also, do any of you know of Mike Parker's assertion that Stanley
>Morison did not design Times Roman?

Didn't we discuss this before... I forget. I'm not sure the
'official' version had Morison doing more than pontificating -
Lardent was supposed to have done all the drawing. I'd love to think
that the crabby, pompous Morison was also a liar and a thief... but
the more I think about it, the more I think Parker must be mistaken.

The sample I saw of Starling Burgess' type was so *exactly* like
Times that I suspected it was a 'wrong font' on the part of the
printer, rather than a genuine dead ringer. But I'd like to hear the
evidence...

James